Approval to Take a Summer Course at Another University
Guidelines for approval to take a summer course at another university
Continuing NJIT students who wish to take a summer class at a different university must obtain prior written approval from the Chemical and Materials Engineering Department. The first step in the process is to meet with your advisor, Dr. Gordana Obuskovic in 150 Tiernan Hall.
To obtain approval to take a summer course at another university, please follow the steps below and bring the "Approval to Take a Summer Course at Another University" to your meeting with Dr. Obuskovic:
- Meet with the Advisor to review eligibility.
- The Advisor sends the material and form to the instructor for consideration.
- The instructor reviews and signs the form if equivalency is approved and then sends it back to the Advisor.
- The Instructor and Advisor approved form is then sent to the Chair.
- The Chair decision is sent back to the Advisor.
- The Advisor informs the student of the outcome of their request.
- If approved, the student fills the Approval for Undergraduate courses at another school form and gets it signed by the Advisor. https://www.njit.edu/registrar/sites/njit.edu.registrar/files/lcms/forms/pdf/Approval%20for%20Undergraduate.pdf
- The signed Approval for Undergraduate Courses at Another School form is submitted to Office of the Registrar.
Please note that Senior Capstone courses (i.e., CHE 495, CHE 496, and CHE 472) cannot be taken outside of NJIT.
For courses that are eligible (i.e., not a capstone and not a course being offered during the summer at NJIT), only one chemical engineering course may be taken during the summer at another institution. For upper level courses, the summer term can be no less than 8 weeks.
For an NJIT student to receive credit for courses taken at other institutions during the summer, they must follow the procedures and comply with the policies found in the NJIT catalog: catalog.njit.edu/undergraduate/academic-policies-procedures/. In particular the student must obtain approval from the Department following the steps outlined in this policy.
Please note that approval is contingent on the following:
- NO APPROVALS WILL BE ISSUED FOR ONLINE / DISTANCE LEARNING COURSES.
- Students must obtain a signed Approval for Undergraduate Courses following the policy and using the form provided.
- Students must submit the Registrar's form once, once the Department form is completed with your advisor.
- If students do not have a signed approval form prior to taking a course at another university, the course will not transfer, even if it is successfully completed.
- Course equivalency must be approved by the professor teaching the Chemical or Materials Engineering course at NJIT and is only approved through this process.
*If you are currently enrolled in the prerequisite for the course you wish to take over the summer, your request will be held until after the prerequisite course is successfully completed.
*Transfer credit will be granted only of the grade of "C" or higher is earned at the university offering the course.
** For Permits, please allow 2 business days (not including weekends) for processing. Please DO NOT contact the CME department to inquire about the status of your permit request until 2 business days have passed.
** You will be notified via e-mail when your permit has been processed.